Saturday, March 1, 2014

What Would Kanye Do?


photo © 2009 editrixie, Flickr


Today I watched an interview in which Kanye was wearing one of those old WWJD bracelets popular when I was in 3rd grade. Kanye West has listed Jesus Christ as one of his biggest inspirations on more than one occasion. And it got me thinking. It's not like I can fault the rap artist for finding inspiration in the historical Jesus. Christ was an inspirational person with a radical message who changed the world. But it's telling when Kanye West is more inspired by Jesus Christ than many Christians I know.

Reading the gospels, the stories of Christ, it's captivating. The way he spoke, the way he taught, the stories and parables - I can't tear my eyes from the page. The way he loved people, the poor and the rich, the marginalized and those in power, it makes me nervous. It makes me think maybe the world doesn't revolve around me, and that's scary (I guess Kanye missed that part). It's like I become torn between wanting to keep reading and this desire to go out and BE like Jesus.

I mean, it's not always like that. There are a million distractions just waiting to stifle inspiration. I'm a nerd, so I'm always catching myself reading the Bible from an academic point of view rather than an awe-inspired point of view. Or I get busy with life, and simply fail to pay attention to who and Jesus actually is, and what he did and is doing.

So maybe we Christians need more a little more inspiration. Maybe we could spend a little less time discussing doctrine, political parties, and gay rights. Maybe instead of slinging verses at our opponents like fiery darts we could take a new look at Christ. A good look. One which moves us.

I think sometimes its easy to say we "Love Jesus." But isn't the lover of someone a person which has been deeply inspired by another? Kanye's bracelet was a reminder to me, today, to find inspiration in Jesus again.

No comments:

Post a Comment